6.06.2014

Softopper

I've been considering buying a new Softopper for a while now. They provide all the convenience of a hard shell without the drawbacks. Softoppers are lightweight, collapsible if you need the full use of the bed, and all the sides role up for great ventilation while camping. Also, they're made locally in Boulder. So, when I found a used one on Craigslist, it was a no-brainer.

At first I was worried about the cost, even though the asking price was only $400. But the way I see it, if I find a subleaser for my room and an affordable apartment, I'll still have enough money for rent. If it doesn't work out, I have a place to sleep and a way to keep my stuff dry during the move. That's if I can shove my mattress in there. It's an 8 inch foam queen, and I'm thinking it'll be a little flexible. A double would've fit perfectly though.

I have to admit that the idea of camping out for the summer (and not paying rent) is enticing. If I didn't have Lucy to think about, I'd plan on it for the whole summer. Although without Lucy, an apartment would be much easier to come by, but I'll save my rant about landlord discrimination for another day. And yes, she is more important to me than a solid roof. I think she'd be fine in the back with the sides of the Softopper rolled up as long as she didn't bark at people passing by. The highs in Mountain Village have only been in the upper 60s lately. The other concern is showering. I'm hoping that the employee fitness center has one. I'm not sure that a solar shower bag is a sustainable way of bathing, but it's the only alternative I can think of.

Following a dream isn't always easy. I could've easily dismissed it with the lack-of-funds excuse, but I'm pretty prepared to go off the grid if need be - wouldn't be the first time. It also helps that my paychecks won't skip a beat. Moving can get expensive, but it helps that everything fits in my truck. I just need to remember to not accumulate stuff. As a cyclist that's difficult to do.

No comments: