6.29.2014

My New Job

In short my new position as Groundskeeper means I do whatever it takes to keep the town looking good. My coworkers and I empty public trash and recycling cans, sweep the plazas, mow (most areas twice a week), pull weeds, plant and water flowers, and complete other random tasks. For instance, last Thursday I put on some waders and scooped algea out of a pond with a pitchfork all afternoon.

I really enjoy being outdoors, even with this crazy mountain weather. It's usually 40 degrees in the morning but quickly warms up to the 70s as the sun gets higher. But, each little rainstorm drops the temps back down to the 40s and comes with the possibility of hail and/or snow...in June! Usually I carry a fleece and a rain jacket in my backpack. Sometimes it's still not enough.

It's certainly not a glamorous job, but I'm really enjoying it. Honestly, I can't think of anything I'd rather be doing at this point in my life. It's not exhausting but still involves real work. I work 7-5:30 four days a week and get paid enough to afford good food (if I shop out of town), bike parts, and can still save a little. That's partly due to having four people living in a two bedroom house, but it's certainly big enough with a loft and a "Yoga" room (my room). I also like driving a work truck. Just feels right. Hydraulic lift gates are pretty awesome too. I think being self employed would be cool in the future, and getting paid to write and/or edit also has my interest. But for now, I'm pretty happy were I am.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...


what is a yoga room?

Sheri

Brandon Lee said...

It's a 10'x10' room with half a dozen baseboard heaters, a giant mirror on one wall and a sunset mural on another. I was told it's for heat yoga.