6.16.2014

First Impressions of Telluride


It's like Disney World for adults. It's a mecca for outdoor recreation whether it's hiking, climbing, mountaineering, kayaking, rafting, biking, fly fishing, off-roading, and of course skiing and snowboarding in the winter.

Some random facts:
  • USPS does not come to my house; we have a PO Box in town.
  • I'll most likely need 4x4-low and snow chains to get around my neighborhood in winter. Even then, I might get snowed in some days. But, it's the kind of place that you don't have to worry about locking your front door.
  • It's much drier here than the Front Range, and I can now say that I prefer Aveeno over Vaseline lotion. It just feels more natural and less oily.
  • Everything is uber expensive. Gas is $4.18, a 12 pack of PBR is $15, and groceries are through the roof. Sunscreen is $11 a bottle! I think I'll just wear long sleeves. Once I get paid, I plan to make a trip to the Wal-Mart in Montrose (an hour away) to stock up for a month.
  • I have discovered the French Press and it is amazing, except for the last sip.
  • Our fridge has a beer dispenser.
  • My roommate has a Nintendo and a Super Nintendo.
  • There are pretty much three types of people here. There are the tourists who are fairly well off and provide the foundation of the economy. Then there are the really rich people who own homes here and either don't have to work, work remotely, or just use this as a second home. And then there are people like me. Most in their twenties and here to play for a season or two while working backstage/operational jobs that keep this place rolling.
  • There are only two radio stations. Both suck.
  • Going from 5000ft to 9000ft is more difficult than going from sea level to 5000ft. There's not a whole lot of air up here, and I have a theory that smells are more intense because of it.
  • It's good to have an employer that understands their employees. 4-10s and 3 days off in a row is sweet. I hardly know what to do with myself.
  • It's also good to work for a small town with a lot of money. We're not lacking for equipment.
I apologize for the bullet points, but my brain couldn't put such randomness into paragraphs. I think moving here is one of the best decisions I've made. There's so much to do and so much to explore, and everyone I've met is active and adventurous. I'll try to keep the blog updated when I'm not busy playing. Upcoming trips/posts include Moab and Mesa Verde!

No comments: