2.01.2014

The Story of Lucy


 
It all started on a cold December Thursday. I had just finished up my exams for the semester and decided to unwind on a 35 mile ride on my new-to-me 1985 Schwinn Traveler road bike. The previous night temperatures got down to 26 degrees and the night before that it had snowed. But, that afternoon was just warm enough for a ride at 50 degrees.

The first half of the ride was uneventful, peaceful. Rural roads stretching through farmland. After the road turned back towards home and I crossed Highway 7, I found myself unsure of where to go. Naturally, I meandered through winding residential roads, heading in the general direction of home. After a mile or so of uncomfortable gravel grinding, I finally reached a road that looked right. When the road curved near Hurricane Landing, I knew I was on track. I stopped for a few bites of a Cliff Bar to help me push through the final leg of my route. The sun was getting low and the temperature dropping along with it.

A few hills later, I saw what I thought was a cat sitting on the side of the road. Upon closer inspection it turned out to be a scruffy little puppy. I had never brought a stray dog home before and haven't since (although I've wanted to). But, something that day made me double-back. She didn't trust me at first, just ran circles around me barking. So, I sat down and tried to make myself look nonthreatening. She timidly walked up and rolled over in my lap. She looked hungry, but all I had was a piece of a chocolate cliff bar. So, I gave her a belly rub. I had to get back, but maybe she would follow me.

And, follow she did. She ran behind me for 2 or 3 miles. I asked the few people we passed if they recognized her, but no one did. As I was calling her to follow me, I decided to name her Lucy. It was the first name that came to me. Sometimes I wish I would've gone with something more unique, but the name stuck. Suddenly, two big dogs ran at us, aggression in their eyes. After a quick smell, they decided the scrawny pup wasn't worth the effort. We kept on. As the light faded and Lucy slowed, I picked her up, hurried to get home. Riding one handed wasn't ideal, but at least the old-school components allowed for brake and shifter access from the top of the bar. A mile, or so, later, a lady in a small pick-up stopped and offered us a ride. I was hesitant, with "don't ride with strangers" echoing in my head from childhood. But, she seemed nice, and I realised I needed the help. Threw my bike in the back, and a few minutes later, I was home. Tired, cold and hungry, but not so much as Lucy.

An introduction to Stryker, some food, a long bath, and she was out. For two weeks she ate twice what she does now and slept, mostly in the chair across the room, still leery of Houston and me.
For a while I wondered about her history, but I'm now certain someone dumped her there. She hardly lets me out of her sight; she wouldn't have wondered away from her home. And, it's easy to see why. She wasn't house trained and punishment only confused her. It took me a while to figure out to reward her for going outside, but she caught on quickly after that. Also, she has an extreme amount of energy. Every other day she needs to run 7-12 miles to let it all out. It seems only a mountain biker could give her the exercise she needs. Fate.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So sweet :)