2.22.2014

The Leashed Trail Dog


It's a sad sight. A leash connecting a dog to a bike. For both Lucy and me, the trail is supposed to be freedom. Freedom to run and ride as fast or as slow as we want. Freedom to take the familiar path through the local woods or the new trail to unknown places. Anywhere to escape the city, and yes, harass the wildlife (they'll get over it). It's one of my main reasons for riding. But, with the strict leash laws in Fort Collins, that freedom is nowhere to be found.

While it's possible to ride single track with Lucy on a leash, it means we have to go slower to avoid accidents, and I also have to match her pace which is not always easy or safe (or fun). Occasionally, I see dogs off leash and am tempted to ignore the law. But, it's different for hikers. They'll notice when a ranger is up ahead, whereas I'm concentrated on my front wheel and what's immediately in front of it. I unleashed her for a short stretch on our last trail ride, and it was SO much better. Just yesterday, though, I saw someone getting ticketed for it. That's not something I can afford. For now, we've been riding the neighborhoods which lets us go a little faster with a lot less stress despite the traffic. We've also found some short stretches of double track in nearby Natural Areas that's manageable. There's a trail 20-30 minutes north of town that allows off leash running, but that'll have to wait for drier weather.

Leash laws were not something I researched before moving here, but I'll check the next place better. Or, just move somewhere rural where no one cares. Maybe Fort Collins will adopt a verbal command exception like Boulder, or a small, nice, harmless dog exception. Just wishful thinking.

No comments: