2.08.2014

Ride Report: Taft-Glade Loop

I wasn't planning on righting about this ride, but it turned out to be fun and eventful. I've been sick the last few days, but I was feeling better today in spite of still coughing and blowing my nose frequently. I thought a good bike ride would help blow the rest of it out. Looking at this route on a map, it's 10 miles to Loveland, so I figured the loop should be 20 - 25. It turned out to be 36 somehow. Still, a good distance.

It started off with a straight shot down Taft Hill Rd to Loveland through rolling hills and wide open plains. The openness of the land still catches me by surprise. Being from Mississippi, I'm always expecting corridors of trees lining the road. I, then, cut over to Glade Rd which runs along the valley behind the first set of foothills. Along the way I discovered three new mountain bike trail heads including Devil's Backbone, which looks exactly like it sounds: a towering rocky ridge formation jutting straight up from the ground. Unfortunately, I forgot my camera, but I'll be back there soon.

Most of the route consisted of comfortable rolling hills or gradual ascents and descents, but there were a couple of hills toward the end that had me wishing for a granny gear going up and nearly wetting myself going down. In fact, I broke my personal speed record at 43.4mph. During which, my mind drifted back to the last book series I read - Divergent. I just thought: be like the Dauntless. Silly, I know. At one point on one of the last long climbs, I noticed there were red rocks on the left side of the road and grey on the right. When I say rocks I mean 200ft rocky hills. I have no idea why they're different, but I thought it was interesting.

I rounded the southern tip of Horsetooth Reservoir and hammered on home. Finished it off with a PBR and some frozen Chinese food. Now, I'm just looking forward to my interview Monday and temp work Tuesday.

No comments: