1.18.2014

The Awesomeness of Cyclocross Bikes


Like many things concerning cycling, my first thoughts of cyclocross (cx) bikes were that they were ridiculous. There's no way a bike with drop bars and skinny tires, however knobby, could offer any hints of performance or fun off road. Why would anyone ride one? Why would anyone ride a rigid single speed mountain bike? I ride one and still can't answer that. And now, I also ride a cx bike. The only thing it's great at is trips around town. With tires slightly bigger than a road bike's it can handle pot holes, curbs, and so much more. It's also decent enough for long road rides and moderate trails. Today's ride confirmed my love for cx bikes.

 
The Climb. It started off cold and windy. I warmed up fairly quickly, but the wind persisted head on. I passed by a group of roadies doing hill repeats. With so many mountain roads to explore, I'm not sure why they would want to trade an adventurous exciting ride for a repetitive fitness exercise. Once I got into Rist Canyon, the wind died; the only sounds were my labored breathing and a small creek. At first, the climb wasn't bad, but after a mile or so the road steepened. I was struggling to crank out 10mph. My bike was way over geared at 44 x 16. A ratio meant for town and flat roads. But, I pushed on. I took breaks. I contemplated turning around. I even walked some sections. The last few miles were agonizing. Every muscle was engaged, alternating between pushing and pulling. My lungs burned in search of oxygen that wasn't there. After walking a few switchbacks I knew I had to be close. I rode the last few hundred yards and admired the view. Snowy peaks to the west. To the east, mountains, foot hills, and in the distance, the high plains.

The Descent. I rode the brakes down the 12% grade and switchbacks near the top. Releasing them when I hit straighter roads. Having never descended mountain roads on a bike, I was cautious; yet, still managed to max out at 38mph under gravity alone. I wished for a windbreaker. I wondered if there was a speed rating for my tires. Getting down took less than a third of the time it took to get up, and I was thankful for warmer, oxygen rich air. Once out of the canyon, I decided to take the reservoir road back to town. As expected it was quite scenic. From there, I opted for the single track route seeing as it was dry and being ridden by others. Half the time it was all I could do to bounce along, riding the brakes, feet out to the side fending off rocks. Disk brakes and bigger, knobby tires would've helped. Being on a cross bike on a fairly rocky trail, I got several comments:

Lady "That's...bold. Riding a road bike on this trail."
Jogger "You're braver than me on a bike"
Cute Girl "Is that a cross bike?"
     Me "Yep"
     Her "I didn't know you could do that out here"
     Me "Well..." (it's not the best idea)

In the end it was a great ride. Next time I'll opt for gears. I love the versatility of cx bikes though. Also, I find my bike's model name ringing true - Il Pompino. To paraphrase the manufacturer: It's like an Italian love affair that leaves you breathless and smiling every time. The British have a great sense of humor.

Some Stats
Starting Elevation: 5084ft
Highest Elevation: 8067ft
(for the main climb)
Time Ascending: 1hr 30min
Time Descending: 25min
Average Speed: 12.9mph
Max Speed: 38.0mph
Total Mileage: 36
Total Ride Time: 3hr

No comments: