1.16.2014

Chapter 1: Deciding to Move


I'm calling this point in my life Chapter 1 simply because it feels right. Childhood, high school, even college were just parts of the prequel to get me where I am today: Fort Collins, CO. This is the start of a life long adventure. A decision I made less than two months ago.

Shortly after graduating college I was pretty desperate for a job. So, I took to delivering pizza in my hometown in Mississippi. I thought: I like driving enough; I know the streets; it won't be too bad. Soon, however, I realised this job was getting me nowhere. It didn't pay enough to rent my own apartment, and it certainly wasn't impressing any girls, not that there were any within a 20 mile radius. Also, 40 - 80 miles a night, around town is WAY too much wear and tear on a vehicle for barely above minimum wage. 2 months in, I quit. I wanted my own place. I wanted to be around people my age. And, I wanted independence.

With no friends around, no foreseeable dating, and no good job opportunities, this was the best time in my life to move. I started my search with Colorado because it's an awesome state, and that's where adventurous people go. I picked Fort Collins for the college atmosphere, beer, and biking. Then, started applying for jobs. When I didn't have much luck, I calculated the costs. I had just enough money saved up to drive out west and sustain myself for a few months. It was a risky move. But, the unemployment rate was low in the city and I was hopeful.

This was one of the biggest life decisions I've made so far, and I was nervous. I had never driven anywhere near that far - 1444 miles. Looking at a map of the US, it's not even halfway across, but it was still intimidating. Fear of the unknown was also intimidating. What if I can't find a job? What if my roommates are psychotic? What if I fall into a sinkhole in the desert? What if I hit snowy/icy roads that my little 4cyl 2wd Tacoma can't handle?

The drive was semi-exciting. Rain in Louisiana. On the way to Dallas, lifted F250s passing me doing 80-85mph while my little 4cyl struggles to do 65mph into a killer 30mph headwind/crosswind. Tackling Dallas at night. Sleeping for 5 1/2 hours in the driver's seat of my Tacoma, dog in my lap, in a truck stop. Eventually, I got too cold in the subfreezing temps and decided to start driving some more. Tumbleweeds in north Texas made me laugh, and dodging them kept my attention in an otherwise boring landscape. I hit snowy roads in Amarillo which continued off and on for the rest of the drive. Having never driven in snow, this kept me on edge for a while. Shortly before crossing into CO, I caught a glimpse of the Rockies, sparking more excitement. Other than missing the Denver bypass that's about it. However, if this becomes a regular thing, there may be a V6 4x4 with a camper shell in my future. Maybe.

Now, I sit here sipping some homebrew, pondering my future. Do I start a career in FoCo, do I work part time and explore, do I go back to school, or do I work to save money for more adventure?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have a great deal of courage, to do what you have done, and I admore you for it. As Jimmy Buffett said, "Life doesn't come without risks. You learn to take them, or you stay home and watch life on TV".