1.13.2015

Winter Doldrums

I finally understand the definition of winter. It’s cold. It’s snowy. It’s dark when I get to work in the morning, and it gets dark again before I leave. It’s good that I work outside; otherwise, I wouldn’t see the sun for four days. It’s difficult, though, to make myself go outside on my days off. It’s much easier to be lazy (and warm). Last weekend, however, we had an unusual high of 45, so I felt obligated to venture out for a road ride.

For the first eight miles, I questioned why I liked riding so much. It had been so long, I honestly couldn’t remember. My legs haven’t lost much strength, but my cardio fitness has plummeted. It was around that eight mile mark, that I finally warmed up and started the climb up Lone Cone Rd. I shifted into a low gear and zoned-out for four miles before the road flattened and the pavement ended. There, I stopped to rest and take in the complete silence of the country road. The sun was warm, the ground was covered in snow, with the exception of the road, and the stillness of the surrounding land was incredible.

I speed downhill at +35mph, the cold air of the shaded hill biting my face. When I got home, the “runner’s high” effect lasted until I went to bed. I felt the best I have in weeks and not at all guilty about drinking a beer while grilling pork shoulder. I road just over twenty-six miles; my longest ride since October!! Getting out to ride in the winter can be tough, but it still beats not riding!

No comments: