11.04.2014

Road Trip Recap

Overall, I'd say I had a pretty successful trip. I got to see more friends and family than I had intended. I rode the Womble Trail in Arkansas, Bear Creek and Pinhoti in North Georgia, Oak Mountain in Birmingham, Alabama, and Whirlpool in Oxford, Mississippi. I drove 4076 miles, spent $566 in gas, and averaged 21.1 mpg. I discovered that when facing a strong headwind, I can run in 4th gear at 70 mph and 3200 rpm and still get 19-20 mpg. That rekindled my faith in the ole 4 cylinder. However, after all that it took me about 10 tries, 2 sandbags, and a roommate in the back to get out of my driveway this morning; it was pretty iced over.

I'm glad to be done travelling for a while, but I can't say I was really excited to come back to Telluride. I've got to do some maintenance on my truck and get it registered just to trade it in for a 4x4. Also, the house I've been renting finally sold, so I've got to find a new place to live in the next month. These problems are made worse by the facts that I live in the middle of nowhere, and there's a severe housing shortage in Telluride. But, since I'm a town employee I get bumped to the top of the waiting list for the apartment complex, so hopefully that'll work out. On the upside, I'm looking forward to getting away from my roommates (one in particular). There's also smaller problems like buying various winter gear items and replacing worn out bike parts - things that can't be done in town without sacrificing a limb.

Coming back wasn't all bad though. My Rogue Hoe finally arrived after being back-ordered for a couple months; though it's kind of too late to do trail maintenance now. And, my boss found some snowboard boots in my size in the Free Box. For those that are wondering, it's exactly what it sounds like - a box of free stuff. Lucy sure was excited to get back though! Hopefully, next month, things will slow down.

No comments: