11.11.2014

Maps vs. GPS

Keeping with the travel theme, I thought I'd write about why I prefer maps over GPS. When GPS devices first became popular for use in cars, I thought they were ridiculous (and still do). They're useful on boats to find fishing wrecks, distances, etc., but roadways have plenty of signs to tell you where you are. The only time GPS is useful in cars is when one is in a big, unfamiliar city with multiple destinations. The vast majority of the time I use written directions and/or a map.

So, why use maps? State maps are free at all welcome stations. Looking for certain road signs keeps my attention. I've learned to recognize primary roads from secondary roads from tertiary roads. I can quickly glance at a map to find surrounding roads and features. The best part is that these skills are transferable when on biking and hiking trails. Recognizing a primary trails is crucial when you don't have a map and sometimes when you do. Using maps also builds a good sense of direction.

Boy Scouts are taught that a GPS is not a primary source of information due to it's vulnerability to water and dead batteries. I keep one in my truck as a back-up but haven't used it in over a year. I have a small collection of state maps organized alphabetically in the pocket of my back door, so that I can reach back and pick out the one I need. Also, it's helpful to fold the map in such a way that you only see the part in which you are travelling. I guess maps just fit in with my personality, like manual transmissions and single speeds.

No comments: