8.08.2019

Getting off the Fence

Against my better judgment, I've committed to the Trans North Georgia. A few nights ago, I awoke at 2:30am after dreaming about the race. I laid there for probably an hour thinking about strategy, the route, and how I can't recall the pain. Waking up the next morning, I realized a decision had to be made, and I'm going for it. Despite a lack of training (though there's something to be said for quality vs. quantity), I think I'm ready for it. I'm certainly no worse off than last time, although riding rigid and single speed definitely won't make things easier. The rig seems lighter; though, I don't have the data to quantify it. But, I have made some changes to gear selection:

Gear List:
Eno rain fly
Khumbu rain jacket

extra socks, underwear, and gloves
sunscreen
anti-chafe cream
emergency blanket
waterproof matches
iodine water purification tablets
Platypus 3L hydration bladder
24oz water bottle x 3
Niterider helmet light
Light-Motion 200 handlebar light
battery charger cables
external back-up battery (upgraded to 10.4 Ah)
two tubes
pump and CO2
bike multitool
tire levers
one set of brake pads
two
masterlinks
chain lube
zip ties
duct tape

I'm aiming for the same goals as last time. I think being able to navigate more efficiently will help me attain them, so long as I can quickly escape the gravity well that is Mulberry Gap.
"I'll carry enough food to get me through the first 100 miles or so, possibly picking up a few snacks at the Top of Georgia Hostel [no longer an option] at the 54 mile mark. I'll carry on to Helen, at 97 miles, eat dinner, then press on to Wolfpen Gap [Vogal State Park] at 116 miles, roughly 1/3 of the way through. I'll likely camp out there, then press on to Cherry Log, 165 miles, for lunch on Sunday. Next, it's on to Mulberry Gap, at 212 miles, for dinner and to recharge batteries. I'll likely carry on that evening to Ramhurst, 234 miles, to camp. I'll restock in Dalton, 250 miles, then race to the finish which is 327 miles according to the cue sheets and 313 according to the GPS. [now 358 miles]"
If all goes well, I should finish late Monday night. Tracking can be found at http://trackleaders.com/tnga19

1 comment:

Ofishalee said...

Again I am amazed by your fortitude and abilities. I will be tracking you closely, wishing you well and praying for good weather and a safe ride. Hope you have a great experience.