8.16.2016

Ready, set, GO!!

Cue sheets printed, .gpx file loaded, bags packed. My homemade bikepacking bags have passed the trial run; now it's time to put them to the test. I've been gathering up all my gear and trimming it down to the bare minimum.


Gear List:
Eno rain fly
Khumbu rain jacket
extra socks, underwear, and gloves
sunscreen
anti-chafe cream
emergency blanket
waterproof matches
iodine water purification tablets
Platypus 3L hydration bladder
24oz water bottle
Niterider helmet light
Light-Motion 200 handlebar light
battery charger cables
external back-up battery
two tubes
pump and CO2
bike multitool
tire levers
one set of brake pads
two masterlinks
chain lube
zip ties
duct tape

Things I've cut from the list:
extra spokes
tire sealant
bug spray

Reasoning: In all my biking years, only once have I ever broken a spoke on the trail. At 135lbs it's not something I really worry about. I'll make sure to put fresh sealant in my tires before I leave. Also, there's bike shops in Helen and Dalton, and smaller repairs can be made at Mulberry Gap. I don't remember bugs being bad while working at MG, so I think I can survive without it. I may look for some bug repellent wipes though.

It sure seemed like a lot of gear in my head, but laid out, it's not much at all. I've got plenty of room left over in my bags for food which will mostly consist of trail mix, Clif bars, beef jerky, and some dried fruit to start. After studying the cue sheets and .gpx file, I picked out the resupply spots and created some rough goals for each day.

I'll carry enough food to get me through the first 100 miles or so, possibly picking up a few snacks at the Top of Georgia Hostel at the 54 mile mark. I'll carry on to Helen, at 97 miles, eat dinner, then press on to Wolfpen Gap at 116 miles, roughly 1/3 of the way through. I'll likely camp out there, then press on to Cherry Log, 165 miles, for lunch on Sunday. Next, it's on to Mulberry Gap, at 212 miles, for dinner and to recharge batteries. I'll likely carry on that evening to Ramhurst, 234 miles, to camp. I'll restock in Dalton, 250 miles, then race to the finish which is 327 miles according to the cue sheets and 313 according to the GPS.

115 miles per day seems like a reasonable, achievable goal. With some luck, I'll surpass that. If it turns out that I can't make that goal, it's likely that I won't finish. Stretching this out to four or five days would kind of suck. My line of thinking is that the longer I'm out there, the more difficult it's going to be. Plus, I don't want to miss too much school.

I was hoping to post a cool picture of my bike all loaded down, but it's been raining all day. Maybe next time.

No comments: