5.09.2015

The Time Has Come


The carbon hardtail 29er is coming soon. I'm aiming to step up my racing, and my current steel hardtail is too heavy. It might seem crazy, but 20-30 mile races are won and lost by a matter of seconds. A few extra pounds can be a significant disadvantage.

The new frame is an FR-202 sold by Flyxii. There's no telling who makes it, but most likely it's made right next to the big name-brand bikes in the exact same factory and sold for a fraction of the cost - like 1/5 of the cost. Structural quality seems on par. It might be a tad heavier, but hopefully, that can be attributed to it being over-built. The only issue I found was a little overspray in the headtube, but that can be corrected easily enough. While this bike will have multiple gears, I won't stray too far from the name of this blog. The rigid single speed will be up and running soon enough, though I have to cannibalize it temporarily.

I'm hoping to race Cat 1 soon, but I'll still be Cat 2 for the race next weekend as there's an application to advance to Cat 1 with requirements of placing twice in Cat 2. It's been a while since my last race, so it'll be good to see where I stand. I can't help but feel like I "peaked" during my last semester of college, but getting beat by riders twice my age gives me hope that there's always room for improvement.

No comments: