5.27.2014

The Next Adventure


I'll be sad to see Fort Collins go, but I'm on to the next adventure. Last Wednesday, I applied to a job in Telluride. Friday, I received a phone interview and an offer. On Saturday, I accepted. I'm a little nervous about moving again so soon and on such short notice. I'm finally starting to feel settled here and even started to make some potential friends. But, working in Telluride is an opportunity I can't pass up. This move just might be more wreckless than the last.

The Job
I'll mostly be working in Mountain Village, which is just a short gondola ride uphill. I'll be performing landscaping duties, plaza upkeep, setting-up for special events and cleaning afterwards. I'll work 4-10s and have 3 days off to play!! The downside is that it is only for the summer season, but hopefully, I can also get hired on for the winter. If so, I'll have about a month off in-between to travel and play.

The Move
This time I'll need to squeeze a mattress in the back of my truck along with all of my other junk. My bikes will be going on a hitch rack though, so it shouldn't be too bad. Sadly the Pompino is for sale; the mountains are no place for a fixed gear bike. And, I could use some extra cash for moving. Alternatively I may part it out and keep the wheelset to use on the Centurion when the need arises. The other issue is finding housing. Apartments are ridiculously expensive, and while there is income based housing, very few of those allow pets. As of now my options are paying rent and nothing else, commuting 30-45 miles twice a day from a nearby town, or camping. I'm keeping my fingers crossed in hopes that something will become available in the next two weeks.

The Town
One downside is dating. According to Wikipedia, for every 100 females over the age of 18, there are 155 males. I don't do well with normal competition, and so I expect to be single for the duration of my employment. It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. On the upside Lucy will have a lot more freedom, though I'm not sure how far she'll be able to run at +9000ft.

Before I leave I plan to ride at Lory State Park, as it's the only major trail system I have yet to ride, and see a movie at the drive-in, since those are pretty rare now'days. Hopefully I'll find a subleaser for my current room and an affordable place to live. If not, I'll be stuck with a long commute and/or living in a tent.

No comments: