4.16.2014

Project Centurion Part II


With the completion of Project Centurion, I decided to ride up Poudre Canyon for a shake down run. During the rebuild, I added some "new" old components like cranks, handlebars, and shifters, as well as some other new parts including the seatpost and brake levers. I even managed to find a randonneuring handlebar, characterized by a curved top section and extra long drops. I moved the shifters from the stem to the downtube solely for a more classic look. It also has fresh paint, cables and housing, bar tape, and brake pads. Total cost: $165.00. Of course that doesn't factor in wheels or saddle, but those would come off before a resale. It's almost ready for some high mileage. With no destination or distance in mind, I set off at 9 this morning. It was cool and sunny - perfect riding weather. While I had no major goals today, I did have a few stops in mind including Gateway Park and possibly Hewlett Gulch. I also wanted to get a feel for the bike's handling and fit.


View from bridge to Hewlett Gulch
The ride was fairly uneventful. Slightly windy but not bad. Gateway Park was partially closed due to a damaged bridge, so I didn't get to see much of it. Hewlett Gulch looked like a nice trail. I wanted to ride some of it, but alas my 23mm tires are no good off road. I knew that to be the 23 mile mark, and I was feeling just as good as when I started. So, I decided to press on. I soon came across Young Gulch and later Stove Prairie/Buckhorn Rd. I was tempted to turn here and make the route into a nice loop, but I knew I'd have to cross the stream somehow along with who knows what else (see previous post). Instead, I continued up Poudre Canyon until I reached the Narrows - a narrow section in the canyon with class IV and V rapids. I still wasn't feeling tired, but it was already after 12:30. So, I decided to turn back. I ended the day with yet another (short) ride to run Lucy and make a pitstop at Equinox Brewery for a growler fill of Orion Irish Red which may or may not have something to do with the color of my hair. Honestly, red ales are one of my favorites, but like redheads they're uncommon. So, I usually take the opportunity when I can.
 
The 30 year old bike rode quite well. It's smooth and stable. It's certainly not a light weight racer, but I can see it being a high mileage machine. After 62 miles today, I was only slightly tired. My butt was hurting on the descent, but that should get better as my saddle breaks in. I think it's the exact same size as my old Schwinn. It's a little tall, but the reach is the same as it was on the Pompino. Still, a shorter stem might be nice. The downtube shifters took some getting used to, but I like them. They give the bike a classic look and feel, and their simplicity and reliability is unmatched. I'm planning on some wider tires, so I can stray from the pavement, and home-made handlebar and saddle bags for tools, clothes, and food, etc.
 
I can't wait for some all-day rides on the Centurion. I have plans to tackle some of the nearby mountain passes with this bike once I get it dialed in. I may even rig it up for some light bikepacking. Not sure where it came from, but suddenly, I have the desire to ride long hours at high altitudes. If nothing else it'll make interesting blog material. 

No comments: