3.05.2014

Frugality

By choice, I love it. By necessity, not so much. In part I was raised to be somewhat frugal. For instance, most off-brands are exactly the same as the name brand, like raisin bran or soap. Other things you really don't want to skimp on, like toilet paper. It also comes from all of my camping and backpacking which teaches you exactly how much you need to live. The best part is that saving money on everyday things allows you to spend it on things you really enjoy, like bike parts and beer. Although, for me, bike parts are easily justified anyways as they account for transportation, exercise, entertainment, and therapy costs. When I moved to Colorado, I knew I would need to stretch my savings as far is they would go.

At first I thought I had plenty of money to last three months, but as always, it disappeared faster than I had thought. Things like my rent deposit, buying a bed, and warmer clothes really took out a chunk. I'm always fairly frugal by choice, but as time wore on, I found myself nearing the extreme end of the spectrum as my savings dwindled. I started eating lots of beans, not buying meat, and using my backpacking skills like rationing toilet paper and washing dishes with dirt. Ok, maybe not the latter, but you get the idea. For the record, I do use dirt while camping and can usually get a 1:1 ratio for wipes per square with quality tp.

It's my understanding that most people go through this in the transition to adulthood. A time where everything you own will fit in your car, and if you fill up your gas tank, you won't be able to afford next month's rent. I think it builds character, and I'm sure I'll look back on it one day with nostalgia. But right now I'm so ready for a pay check. Just one more week!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I was 17 I left home and went to Biloxi to work. The last week before my first paycheck I was out of everything but a large jar of dill pickles and a large jar of peanut butter. I survived on that for a week, and to this day, I don't like peanut butter.